RP Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

a roleplaying site for me and a friend. 'Nuff said.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Elven Greetings

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mormeril
Deputy
Mormeril

Elven Greetings Empty
PostSubject: Elven Greetings   Elven Greetings I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 10:06 pm

Coppied from Merin Essi ar Quenteli

Abbreviations

English and Elven languages don't always portray the same information in their grammar. So, when giving the literal translation of a phrase, this extra information about the situation that it is aimed for needs to be displayed in order to be used correctly. So, I've included this list in the hopes that you will better understand which situations these phrases are appropriate for.

[2]=[dual] It's a special type of plural for referring to only two things. In Sindarin, only Doriathrin Sindarin speakers, (the Elves of Doriath and Lothlórien) continue to use this special plural form.
[d]=[diminutive] For use when trying to be cutesy or endearing. Roughly equal to "my ____" or "my little ____" or "my little ____-ette". Not appropriate in formal situations.
[f]=[familiar] This regards the pronouns for "you/your/yours". For use when speaking amongst friends and family, or if the speaker is addressing someone rudely.
[r]=[reverential] This regards the pronouns for "you/your/yours". For use in formal situations or with people the speaker doesn't know.
[inc]=[inclusive, us including you] This regards the pronouns for "we/us/our/ours". Elven languages have two pronouns for the 1st person plural. This one refers to "you and us". This distinction is only used by the Sindar of Doriath, and later, the Elves of Lothlórien in Sindarin. The young Sindar don't use this pronoun, and use the pronoun with the base M instead. In Quenya, this pronoun stuck around, but lost the distinction between the plural and dual versions of "we".
[ex]=[exclusive, us not including you] This regards the pronouns for "we/us/our/ours". In the Sindarin spoken outside of Doriath, and later by the Noldorin exiles, the Woodelves, and the Gondorians, this pronoun was used for both inclusive and exclusive meanings, the way "we" is used in English now.

English Literal Translation Translated Phrase
Hi! an interjection to show high emotions A!
Hello! an interjection to show very high emotions Ae!
Hello! an interjection to show very high emotions Ai!
Hello! a blessing Galu!
Well met [f] You are well met Mae g'ovannen
Well met [f] You are well met Mê g'ovannen
Well met [r] You are well met Mae dh'ovannen
Well met [r] You are well met Mae l'ovannen
Well met [r] You are well met Mê dh'ovannen
Well met [r] You are well met Mae l'ovannen
Well met [f] [pl] You are well met Mae g'evennin
Well met [f] [pl] You are well met Mê g'evennin
Well met [r] [pl] You are well met Mae dh'evennin
Well met [r] [pl] You are well met Mae l'evennin
Well met [r] [pl] You are well met Mê dh'evennin
Well met [r] [pl] You are well met Mae l'evennin
Welcome the guest! Welcome the guest! Nathlo i nathal!
Greetings Greeting Suil
I greet you I greet [f] you Gi suilon
I greet you I greet [r] you Dhe suilon /ˌðɛ ˈsuj.lɔn/
I greet you I greet [r] you Le suilon /ˌlɛ ˈsuj.lɔn/
I greet you I greet [r] you Dhe suilon /ˌðɛ ˈsuj.lɔn/
I greet you I greet [r] you Le suilon /ˌlɛ ˈsuj.lɔn/
I give greetings to you I give greetings [f] to you Gi suilannon /ˌgi suj.ˈlan.nɔn/
I give greetings to you I give greetings [f] to you Gi suilannon /ˌgi suj.ˈlan.nɔn/
I give greetings to you I give greetings [f] to you Gi suilanthon /ˌgi suj.ˈlan.θɔn/
I give greetings to you I give greetings [r] to you Dhe suilannon /ˌðɛ suj.ˈlan.nɔn/
I give greetings to you I give greetings [r] to you Le suilannon /ˌlɛ suj.ˈlan.nɔn/
I give greetings to you I give greetings [r] to you Dhe suilanthon /ˌðɛ suj.ˈlan.θɔn/
I give greetings to you I give greetings [r] to you Le suilannon /ˌlɛ suj.ˈlan.nɔn/
You are welcome here [ex]We welcome [r] you here Gi nathlam hi /ˌgi ˈnaθ.lam hi/
You are welcome here [ex]We welcome [r] you here Dhe nathlam hi /ˌðɛ ˈnaθ.lam hi/
You are welcome here [ex]We welcome [r] you here Le nathlam hi /ˌlɛ ˈnaθ.lam hi/
You are welcome here [ex]We welcome [r] you here Dhe nathlam hi /ˌðɛ ˈnaθ.lam hi/
You are welcome here [ex]We welcome [r] you here Le nathlam hi /ˌlɛ ˈnaθ.lam hi/
I am happy to meet you I am joyous to meet [f] you Ni veren an gi ngovaned /ˌni ˈvɛ.rɛn aŋ ˌgiŋ gɔ.ˈvan.nɛn/
I am happy to meet you I am joyous to meet [r] you Ni veren an dhe ngovaned /ˌni ˈvɛ.rɛn aŋ ˌðɛŋ gɔ.ˈvan.nɛn/
I am happy to meet you I am joyous to meet [r] you Ni veren an le ngovaned /ˌni ˈvɛ.rɛn aŋ ˌlɛŋ gɔ.ˈvan.nɛn/
I am happy to meet you I am joyous to meet [r] you Ni veren an dhe ngovaned /ˌni ˈvɛ.rɛn aŋ ˌðɛŋ gɔ.ˈvan.nɛn/
I am happy to meet you I am joyous to meet [r] you Ni veren an le ngovaned /ˌni ˈvɛ.rɛn aŋ ˌlɛŋ gɔ.ˈvan.nɛn/
A star shines on the hour of our meeting a star shines over the time of [inc] our meeting Gail síla erin lû e-govaned 'wîn /ˈgajl̡ ˈsiˑ.la ˈɛ.rin ˈlu: ɛ ˈgɔ.va.nɛd/
Come, join us Come, meet [ex] us Tolo, govano ven /ˈtɔ.lɔ ˈgɔ.va.nɔ ˈvɛn/
It has been too long a long time has passed Gwannas lû and /ˈgwan.nas ˈlu: ˈand/
Long journey? Long journey Lend and? /ˈlɛnd ˈand/
My home is your home My home is [f] your home I mâr nîn i mâr gîn /i ˈma:r ˈni:n i ˈma:r ˈgi:n/
My home is your home My home is [f] your home I mâr nîn i mâr gîn /i ˈma:r ˈni:n i ˈma:r ˈgi:n/
My home is your home My home is [f] your home I vâr nîn i vâr gîn /i ˈva:r ˈni:n i ˈva:r ˈgi:n/
My home is your home My home is [f] your home I maren i mareg /i ˈma.rɛn i ˈma.rɛg/
My home is your home My home is [f] your home I maren i mareg /i ˈma.rɛn i ˈma.rɛg/
My home is your home My home is [f] your home I varen i vareg /i ˈva.rɛn i ˈva.rɛg/
My home is your home My home is [r] your home I mâr nîn i mâr dhîn /i ˈma:r ˈni:n i ˈma:r ˈði:n/
My home is your home My home is [r] your home I mâr nîn i mâr lîn /i ˈma:r ˈni:n i ˈma:r ˈli:n/
My home is your home My home is [r] your home I mâr nîn i mâr dhîn /i ˈma:r ˈni:n i ˈma:r ˈði:n/
My home is your home My home is [r] your home I vâr nîn i vâr lîn /i ˈva:r ˈni:n i ˈva:r ˈli:n/
My home is your home My home is [r] your home I maren i maredh /i ˈma.rɛn i ˈma.rɛð/
My home is your home My home is [r] your home I maren i marel /i ˈma.rɛn i ˈma.rɛl̡/
My home is your home My home is [r] your home I maren i maredh /i ˈma.rɛn i ˈma.rɛð/
My home is your home My home is [r] your home I varen i varel /i ˈva.rɛn i ˈva.rɛl̡/
This is my home This is my home Sen i mâr nîn /ˈsɛn i ˈma:r ˈni:n/
This is my home This is my home Sen i vâr nîn /ˈsɛn i ˈva:r ˈni:n/
This is my home This is my home Sen i maren /ˈsɛn i ˈma.rɛn/
This is my home This is my home Sen i varen /ˈsɛn i ˈva.rɛn/
You again? [f] you returned? Danoduleg? /da.ˈnɔ.du.lɛg/
You again? [f] you returned? Dandelasseg? /dan.dɛ.ˈlas.sɛg/