RP Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

a roleplaying site for me and a friend. 'Nuff said.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Elven Farewells

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mormeril
Deputy
Mormeril

Elven Farewells Empty
PostSubject: Elven Farewells   Elven Farewells I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 11:02 pm

Coppied from Merin Essi ar Quenteli

English and Elven languages don't always portray the same information in their grammar. So, when giving the literal translation of a phrase, this extra information about the situation that it is aimed for needs to be displayed in order to be used correctly. So, I've included this list in the hopes that you will better understand which situations these phrases are appropriate for.

[pl]=[plural]
[2]=[dual] It's a special type of plural for referring to only two things. In Sindarin, only Doriathrin Sindarin speakers, (the Elves of Doriath and Lothlórien) continue to use this special plural form.
[d]=[diminutive] For use when trying to be cutesy or endearing. Roughly equal to "my ____" or "my little ____" or "my little ____-ette". Not appropriate in formal situations.
[f]=[familiar] This regards the pronouns for "you/your/yours". For use when speaking amongst friends and family, or if the speaker is addressing someone rudely.
[r]=[reverential] This regards the pronouns for "you/your/yours". For use in formal situations or with people the speaker doesn't know.
[inc]=[inclusive, us including you] This regards the pronouns for "we/us/our/ours". Elven languages have two pronouns for the 1st person plural. This one refers to "you and us". This distinction is only used by the Sindar of Doriath, and later, the Elves of Lothlórien in Sindarin. The young Sindar don't use this pronoun, and use the pronoun with the base M instead. In Quenya, this pronoun stuck around, but lost the distinction between the plural and dual versions of "we".
[ex]=[exclusive, us not including you] This regards the pronouns for "we/us/our/ours". In the Sindarin spoken outside of Doriath, and later by the Noldorin exiles, the Woodelves, and the Gondorians, this pronoun was used for both inclusive and exclusive meanings, the way "we" is used in English now.

English Literal Translation Translated Phrase

Farewell Be good Novaer
Farewell Be good Novaer
Farewell Be good Nover
Farewell Be good Novaer
Farewell Live well Cuio vae
Farewell Live well Cuio vê
Enjoy yourself/Have fun Be joyful/festive No veren
Good hunting Hunt well Faro vae
Good hunting Hunt well Faro vê
Good luck a blessing Galu
Good morning May the morning be good No vaer i aur
Good morning May the morning be good No vêr i aur
Good morning May the morning be good No vaer i vinuial
Good morning May the morning be good No vêr i vinuial
Good day May the day be good No vaer i arad
Good day May the day be good No vêr i arad
Good evening May the evening be good No vaer i thîn
Good evening May the evening be good No vêr i thîn
Good evening May the evening be good No vaer i aduial
Good evening May the evening be good No vaer i aduial
Good evening May the evening be good No vêr i aduial /ˈnɔ ˈvɛ:r i a.ˈduj.al/
Good evening May the evening be good No vaer i aduial /ˈnɔ ˈvaɛr i a.ˈduj.al/
Good night May the night be good No vaer i dhû /ˈnɔ ˈvaɛr i ˈðu:/
Good night May the night be good No vêr i dhû /ˈnɔ ˈvɛ:r i ˈðu:/
Good night May the night be good No vaer i dinnu /ˈnɔ ˈvaɛr i ˈdin.nu/
Good night May the night be good No vêr i dinnu /ˈnɔ ˈvɛ:r i ˈdin.nu/
Lovely day May the day be fair No vain i arad /ˈnɔ ˈvajn i ˈa.rad/
I cry upon our leaving I will weep during [inc] our departure *Nínion ne gwad 'wîn /ˈniˑ.ni.ɔn nɛ ˈgwad ˈwi:n/
I cry upon our leaving I will weep during [ex] our departure *Nínion ne gwad vîn /ˈniˑ.ni.ɔn nɛ ˈgwad ˈvi:n/
I cry upon our leaving I will weep during [ex] our departure *Nínion ne gwad vîn /ˈniˑ.ni.ɔn nɛ ˈgwad ˈvi:n/
I cry upon our leaving I will weep during [inc] our departure *Nínion ne gwadenc /ˈniˑ.ni.ɔn nɛ ˈgwa.dɛŋk/
I cry upon our leaving I will weep during [ex] our departure *Nínion ne gwadem /ˈniˑ.ni.ɔn nɛ ˈgwa.dɛm/
I cry upon our leaving I will weep during [ex] our departure *Nínion ne gwadem /ˈniˑ.ni.ɔn nɛ ˈgwa.dɛm/
I cry upon your leaving I cry on [f] your going *Nínion ne gwad gîn /ˈniˑ.ni.ɔn nɛ ˈgwad ˈgi:n/
I cry upon your leaving I cry on [f] your going *Nínion ne gwadeg /ˈniˑ.ni.ɔn nɛ ˈgwa.dɛg/
I cry upon your leaving I cry on [r] your going *Nínion ne gwad dhîn /ˈniˑ.ni.ɔn nɛ ˈgwad ˈði:n/
I cry upon your leaving I cry on [r] your going *Nínion ne gwad lîn /ˈniˑ.ni.ɔn nɛ ˈgwad ˈli:n/
I cry upon your leaving I cry on [r] your going *Nínion ne gwad dhîn /ˈniˑ.ni.ɔn nɛ ˈgwad ˈði:n/
I cry upon your leaving I cry on [r] your going *Nínion ne gwad lîn /ˈniˑ.ni.ɔn nɛ ˈgwad ˈli:n/
I cry upon your leaving I cry on [r] your going *Nínion ne gwadedh /ˈniˑ.ni.ɔn nɛ ˈgwa.dɛð/
I cry upon your leaving I cry on [r] your going *Nínion ne gwadel /ˈniˑ.ni.ɔn nɛ ˈgwa.dɛl̡/
I cry upon your leaving I cry on [r] your going *Nínion ne gwadedh /ˈniˑ.ni.ɔn nɛ ˈgwa.dɛð/
I cry upon your leaving I cry on [r] your going *Nínion ne gwadel /ˈniˑ.ni.ɔn nɛ ˈgwa.dɛl̡/
I hope it will be a long journey I hope for a long journey Harthon an lend and /ˈhar.θɔn an ˈlɛnd ˈand/
I must go It is necessary that I leave Boe i 'waen /ˈbɔɛ i ˈwaɛn/
I must go It is necessary that I leave Boe i 'wên /ˈbɔɛ i ˈwɛ:n/
May the leaves of your life never die May the leaves of [f] your life not die Ú-firo i laiss e-guil gîn /ˈuˑ.fi.rɔ i ˈlajss ɛ ˈgujl̡ ˈgi:n/
May the leaves of your life never die May the leaves of [f] your life not die Ú-firo i laiss e-guileg /ˈuˑ.fi.rɔ i ˈlajss ɛ ˈguj.lɛg/
May the leaves of your life never die May the leaves of [r] your life not die Ú-firo i laiss e-guil dhîn /ˈuˑ.fi.rɔ i ˈlajss ɛ ˈgujl̡ ˈði:n/
May the leaves of your life never die May the leaves of [r] your life not die Ú-firo i laiss e-guil lîn /ˈuˑ.fi.rɔ i ˈlajss ɛ ˈgujl̡ ˈli:n/
May the leaves of your life never die May the leaves of [r] your life not die Ú-firo i laiss e-guil dhîn /ˈuˑ.fi.rɔ i ˈlajss ɛ ˈgujl̡ ˈði:n/
May the leaves of your life never die May the leaves of [r] your life not die Ú-firo i laiss e-guil lîn /ˈuˑ.fi.rɔ i ˈlajss ɛ ˈgujl̡ ˈli:n/
May the leaves of your life never die May the leaves of [r] your life not die Ú-firo i laiss e-guiledh /ˈuˑ.fi.rɔ i ˈlajss ɛ ˈguj.lɛð/
May the leaves of your life never die May the leaves of [r] your life not die Ú-firo i laiss e-guilel /ˈuˑ.fi.rɔ i ˈlajss ɛ ˈguj.lɛl̡/
May the leaves of your life never die May the leaves of [r] your life not die Ú-firo i laiss e-guiledh /ˈuˑ.fi.rɔ i ˈlajss ɛ ˈguj.lɛð/
May the leaves of your life never die May the leaves of [r] your life not die Ú-firo i laiss e-guilel /ˈuˑ.fi.rɔ i ˈlajss ɛ ˈguj.lɛl̡/
May the sun shine upon your path May the Sun shine upon [f] your path Galo Anor erin râd gîn /ˈga.lɔ ˈa.nɔr ˈɛ.rin ˈra:d ˈgi:n/
May the sun shine upon your path May the Sun shine upon [f] your path Galo Anor erin radeg /ˈga.lɔ ˈa.nɔr ˈɛ.rin ˈra.dɛg/
May the sun shine upon your path May the Sun shine upon [r] your path Galo Anor erin râd dhîn /ˈga.lɔ ˈa.nɔr ˈɛ.rin ˈra:d ˈði:n/
May the sun shine upon your path May the Sun shine upon [r] your path Galo Anor erin râd lîn /ˈga.lɔ ˈa.nɔr ˈɛ.rin ˈra:d ˈli:n/
May the sun shine upon your path May the Sun shine upon [r] your path Galo Anor erin râd dhîn /ˈga.lɔ ˈa.nɔr ˈɛ.rin ˈra:d ˈði:n/
May the sun shine upon your path May the Sun shine upon [r] your path Galo Anor erin râd lîn /ˈga.lɔ ˈa.nɔr ˈɛ.rin ˈra:d ˈli:n/
May the sun shine upon your path May the Sun shine upon [r] your path Galo Anor erin radedh /ˈga.lɔ ˈa.nɔr ˈɛ.rin ˈra.dɛð/
May the sun shine upon your path May the Sun shine upon [r] your path Galo Anor erin radel /ˈga.lɔ ˈa.nɔr ˈɛ.rin ˈra.dɛl̡/
May the sun shine upon your path May the Sun shine upon [r] your path Galo Anor erin radedh /ˈga.lɔ ˈa.nɔr ˈɛ.rin ˈra.dɛð/
May the sun shine upon your path May the Sun shine upon [r] your path Galo Anor erin radel /ˈga.lɔ ˈa.nɔr ˈɛ.rin ˈra.dɛl̡/
May your paths be green and the breeze behind you May [f] your paths be green and the breeze behind [f] you No gelin idh raid gîn, a no adel gin i chwest /ˈnɔ ˈgɛ.lin ið ˈrajd ˈgi:n a ˈnɔ ˈa.dɛl̡ ˈgin i ˈxwɛst/
May your paths be green and the breeze behind you May [f] your paths be green and the breeze behind [f] you No gelin idh raideg, a no adel gin i chwest /ˈnɔ ˈgɛ.lin ið ˈraj.dɛg a ˈnɔ ˈa.dɛl̡ ˈgin i ˈxwɛst/
May your paths be green and the breeze behind you May [r] your paths be green and the breeze behind [r] you No gelin idh raid dhîn, a no adel dhen i chwest /ˈnɔ ˈgɛ.lin ið ˈrajd ˈði:n a ˈnɔ ˈa.dɛl̡ ˈðɛn i ˈxwɛst/
May your paths be green and the breeze behind you May [r] your paths be green and the breeze behind [r] you No gelin idh raid lîn, a no adel len i chwest /ˈnɔ ˈgɛ.lin ið ˈrajd ˈli:n a ˈnɔ ˈa.dɛl̡ ˈlɛn i ˈxwɛst/
May your paths be green and the breeze behind you May [r] your paths be green and the breeze behind [r] you No gelin idh raid dhîn, a no adel dhen i chwest /ˈnɔ ˈgɛ.lin ið ˈrajd ˈði:n a ˈnɔ ˈa.dɛl̡ ˈðɛn i ˈxwɛst/
May your paths be green and the breeze behind you May [r] your paths be green and the breeze behind [r] you No gelin idh raid lîn, a no adel len i chwest /ˈnɔ ˈgɛ.lin ið ˈrajd ˈli:n a ˈnɔ ˈa.dɛl̡ ˈlɛn i ˈxwɛst/
May your paths be green and the breeze behind you May [r] your paths be green and the breeze behind [r] you No gelin idh raidedh, a no adel dhen i chwest /ˈnɔ ˈgɛ.lin ið ˈraj.dɛð a ˈnɔ ˈa.dɛl̡ ˈðɛn i ˈxwɛst/
May your paths be green and the breeze behind you May [r] your paths be green and the breeze behind [r] you No gelin idh raidel, a no adel len i chwest /ˈnɔ ˈgɛ.lin ið ˈraj.dɛl̡ a ˈnɔ ˈa.dɛl̡ ˈlɛn i ˈxwɛst/
May your paths be green and the breeze behind you May [r] your paths be green and the breeze behind [r] you No gelin idh raidedh, a no adel dhen i chwest /ˈnɔ ˈgɛ.lin ið ˈraj.dɛð a ˈnɔ ˈa.dɛl̡ ˈðɛn i ˈxwɛst/
May your paths be green and the breeze behind you May [r] your paths be green and the breeze behind [r] you No gelin idh raidel, a no adel len i chwest /ˈnɔ ˈgɛ.lin ið ˈraj.dɛl̡ a ˈnɔ ˈa.dɛl̡ ˈlɛn i ˈxwɛst/
May your ways be green and golden May [f] your paths be green and golden No gelin a vellin idh raid gîn /ˈnɔ ˈgɛ.lin a ˈvɛl̡.lin ið ˈrajd ˈgi:n/
May your ways be green and golden May [f] your paths be green and golden No gelin a vellin idh raid gîn /ˈnɔ ˈgɛ.lin a ˈvɛl̡.lin ið ˈrajd ˈgi:n/
May your ways be green and golden May [f] your paths be green and golden No gelin a velthin idh raid gîn /ˈnɔ ˈgɛ.lin a ˈvɛl̡.θin ið ˈrajd ˈgi:n/
May your ways be green and golden May [f] your paths be green and golden No gelin a vellin idh raideg /ˈnɔ ˈgɛ.lin a ˈvɛl̡.lin ið ˈraj.dɛg/
May your ways be green and golden May [f] your paths be green and golden No gelin a vellin idh raideg /ˈnɔ ˈgɛ.lin a ˈvɛl̡.lin ið ˈraj.dɛg/
May your ways be green and golden May [f] your paths be green and golden No gelin a velthin idh raideg /ˈnɔ ˈgɛ.lin a ˈvɛl̡.θin ið ˈraj.dɛg/
May your ways be green and golden May [r] your paths be green and golden No gelin a vellin idh raid dhîn /ˈnɔ ˈgɛ.lin a ˈvɛl̡.lin ið ˈrajd ˈði:n/
May your ways be green and golden May [r] your paths be green and golden No gelin a vellin idh raid lîn /ˈnɔ ˈgɛ.lin a ˈvɛl̡.lin ið ˈrajd ˈli:n/
May your ways be green and golden May [r] your paths be green and golden No gelin a velthin idh raid dhîn /ˈnɔ ˈgɛ.lin a ˈvɛl̡.θin ið ˈrajd ˈði:n/
May your ways be green and golden May [r] your paths be green and golden No gelin a vellin idh raid lîn /ˈnɔ ˈgɛ.lin a ˈvɛl̡.lin ið ˈrajd ˈli:n/
May your ways be green and golden May [r] your paths be green and golden No gelin a vellin idh raid dhîn /ˈnɔ ˈgɛ.lin a ˈvɛl̡.lin ið ˈraj.dɛð/
May your ways be green and golden May [r] your paths be green and golden No gelin a vellin idh raid lîn /ˈnɔ ˈgɛ.lin a ˈvɛl̡.lin ið ˈraj.dɛl̡/
May your ways be green and golden May [r] your paths be green and golden No gelin a velthin idh raid dhîn /ˈnɔ ˈgɛ.lin a ˈvɛl̡.θin ið ˈraj.dɛð/
May your ways be green and golden May [r] your paths be green and golden No gelin a vellin idh raid lîn /ˈnɔ ˈgɛ.lin a ˈvɛl̡.lin ið ˈraj.dɛl̡/
May your winds be fair May [f] your winds be fair No vain in gwaew gîn /ˈnɔ ˈvajn iŋ ˈgwaɛw ˈgi:n/
May your winds be fair May [f] your winds be fair No vain in gwaew gîn /ˈnɔ ˈvajn iŋ ˈgwaɛw ˈgi:n/
May your winds be fair May [f] your winds be fair No vain in gwêw gîn /ˈnɔ ˈvajn iŋ ˈgwɛ:w ˈgi:n/
May your winds be fair May [f] your winds be fair No vain in gwaeweg /ˈnɔ ˈvajn iŋ ˈgwaɛ.wɛg/
May your winds be fair May [f] your winds be fair No vain in gwaeweg /ˈnɔ ˈvajn iŋ ˈgwaɛ.wɛg/
May your winds be fair May [f] your winds be fair No vain in gweweg /ˈnɔ ˈvajn iŋ ˈgwɛ.wɛg/
May your winds be fair May [r] your winds be fair No vain i gwaew dhîn /ˈnɔ ˈvajn iŋ ˈgwaɛw ˈði:n/
May your winds be fair May [r] your winds be fair No vain in gwaew lîn /ˈnɔ ˈvajn iŋ ˈgwaɛw ˈli:n/
May your winds be fair May [r] your winds be fair No vain i gwêw dhîn /ˈnɔ ˈvajn iŋ ˈgwɛ:w ˈði:n/
May your winds be fair May [r] your winds be fair No vain in gwaew lîn /ˈnɔ ˈvajn iŋ ˈgwaɛw ˈli:n/
May your winds be fair May [r] your winds be fair No vain i gwaewedh /ˈnɔ ˈvajn iŋ ˈgwaɛ.wɛð/
May your winds be fair May [r] your winds be fair No vain in gwaewel /ˈnɔ ˈvajn iŋ ˈgwaɛ.wɛl̡/
May your winds be fair May [r] your winds be fair No vain i gwewedh /ˈnɔ ˈvajn iŋ ˈgwɛ.wɛð/
May your winds be fair May [r] your winds be fair No vain in gwaewel /ˈnɔ ˈvajn iŋ ˈgwaɛ.wɛl̡/
My heart shall weep until it sees you again My heart will weep to the time when [inc] we will meet again Gûr nîn *níniatha n'i lû n'i a-govenithanc /ˈgu:r ˈni:n niˑ.ˈni.a.θa ni a.gɔ.ˈvɛ.ni.θaŋk/
My heart shall weep until it sees you again My heart will weep to the time when [ex] we will meet again Gûr nîn *níniatha n'i lû n'i a-govenitham /ˈgu:r ˈni:n niˑ.ˈni.a.θa ni a.gɔ.ˈvɛ.ni.θam/
My heart shall weep until it sees you again My heart will weep to the time when [ex] we will meet again Gûr nîn *níniatha n'i lû n'i a-govenitham /ˈgu:r ˈni:n niˑ.ˈni.a.θa ni a.gɔ.ˈvɛ.ni.θam/
My heart shall weep until it sees you again My heart will weep to the time when [inc] we will meet again Guren *níniatha n'i lû n'i a-govenithanc /ˈgu.rɛn niˑ.ˈni.a.θa ni a.gɔ.ˈvɛ.ni.θaŋk/
My heart shall weep until it sees you again My heart will weep to the time when [ex] we will meet again Guren *níniatha n'i lû n'i a-govenitham /ˈgu.rɛn niˑ.ˈni.a.θa ni a.gɔ.ˈvɛ.ni.θam/
My heart shall weep until it sees you again My heart will weep to the time when [ex] we will meet again Guren *níniatha n'i lû n'i a-govenitham /ˈgu.rɛn niˑ.ˈni.a.θa ni a.gɔ.ˈvɛ.ni.θam/
Rest well Rest well *Posto vae /ˈpɔs.tɔ ˈvaɛ/
Rest well Rest well *Posto vê /ˈpɔs.tɔ ˈvɛ:/
Sleep well Sleep well *Losto vae /ˈlɔs.tɔ ˈvaɛ/
Sleep well Sleep well *Losto vê /ˈlɔs.tɔ ˈvɛ:/
Sweet dreams Dream well Ollo vae /ˈɔl.lɔ ˈvaɛ/
Sweet dreams Dream well Oltho vê /ˈɔl.θɔ ˈvɛ:/
Sweet water and joyous laughter till next we meet Good water and joyous laughter when again [inc] we meet Nên vaer a lalaith veren n'i a-goveninc /ˈnɛ:n ˈvaɛr a ˈla.lajθ ˈvɛ.rɛn ni a.gɔ.vɛ.niŋk/
Sweet water and joyous laughter till next we meet Good water and joyous laughter when again [ex] we meet Nên vaer a lalaith veren n'i a-govenim /ˈnɛ:n ˈvaɛr a ˈla.lajθ ˈvɛ.rɛn ni a.gɔ.vɛ.nim/
Sweet water and joyous laughter till next we meet Good water and joyous laughter when again [ex] we meet Nên vêr a lalaith veren n'i a-govenim /ˈnɛ:n ˈvaɛr a ˈla.lajθ ˈvɛ.rɛn ni a.gɔ.vɛ.nim/
Sweet water and joyous laughter till next we meet Good water and joyous laughter when again [ex] we meet Nên vaer a lalaith veren n'i a-govenim /ˈnɛ:n ˈvaɛr a ˈla.lajθ ˈvɛ.rɛn ni a.gɔ.vɛ.nim/
Until later To the time Na lû /na ˈlu:/
Until next we meet To the time of [inc] our meeting Na lû e-govaned 'wîn /na ˈlu: ɛ ˈgɔ.va.nɛd/
Until we meet again To the time when [inc]we meet again Na lû n'i a-goveninc /na ˈlu: ni a.ˈgɔ.vɛ.niŋk/
Until then When the time comes N'i tôl i lû /ni ˈtɔ:l i ˈlu:/
Until tomorrow After today *Abarad /ˈa.ba.rad/
Back to top Go down
https://rparadise.rpg-board.net

Elven Farewells
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
RP Paradise :: Lord of the Rings :: Useful Elvish Information (For those creating Elven characters)-
Jump to: